Counterterrorism and National Security
Library of Congress: Military Legal Resources: Links to U.S. military law resources, including Manuals for Courts Martial, the Law of Armed Conflict Deskbook, U.S. Army Field Manuals, and collections of historical war crimes materials. Military manuals can be found at:
- Manual for Courts-Martial 2012 ed.
- Manual for Courts-Martial 2012 on Lexis
- Manual for Military Commissions 2010 ed.
- Military Rules of Evidence Manual 2012 on Lexis
NATO Legal Deskbook (2010 2d edition): Introduction to NATO legaldocuments, international law, and law of armed conflict for NATO legal advisers
Department of Defense Law of War Manual 2015: Manual with information for personnel executing military operations, including when the law of war applies and rules on the conduct of hostilities
U.S. Naval War College International Law Studies: Browse under the headings for Human Rights Law, International Humanitarian Law, Military and War and Peace, and National Security
Digital National Security Archive (subscription database): Declassified government documents on U.S. national security policy, including chronologies and bibliographies.
U.S. State Department Bureau of Counterterrorism: Country Reports on Terrorism, Fact Sheets, information on programs and initiatives
United Nations Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee: Conventions and legal instruments related to counter-terrorism, country reports,Security Council Resolutions on counter-terrorism and surveys of implementation, and policy guidance on human rights.
Security Council Resolutions: Tables of resolutions arranged by year and number, with topic headings, usually states and regions with armed conflicts. Volumes of resolutions and decisions are under Security Council Documents. The Repertoire of Practice of the Security Council analyzes the work the Security Council by UN Charter Article, with citations to Resolutions and Documents. The Security Council Report, a private publication on the Security Council, has news, forecasts, and key documents on Security Council actions arranged by country and region or by theme.
CRS Reports for Congress on international law and U.S. foreign policy:
- US State Department collection of CRS Reports : Topic collections related to foreign policy, national security, and human rights
- FAS (Federation of American Scientists) Collection of CRS Reports: Collection headings include National Security and Terrorism
- Proquest Congressional (subscription database): A more complete collection than the free sources and searchable.
Search discoverE under the subject headings Terrorism-Prevention-Law and Legislation, Terrorism (International Law), and National Security. Recommended titles include:
- Charles Shanor, Military Law in Nutshell, Reserve Study Aids KF7210 .S52 2013
- Jimmy Gurulé and Geoffrey S Corn, Principles of Counter-Terrorism Law, Reserve Study Aids K5256 .G87 2011
- Routledge Handbook of Law and Terrorism, K5256 .R68 2015
- Michael Schmitt, Counter-Terrorism and the Use of Force in International Law
- Guénaël Mettraux, The Law of Command Responsibility, Oxford Scholarship Online
- The Handbook of the International Law of Military Operations, K4720 .H36 2015