Practice and Judicial Assistance Abroad
Travel.State.gov: Legal information for Americans traveling or living abroad, including on citizenship laws, international judicial assistance (jurisdiction, service of process, civil procedure), private international treaties, and international child support enforcement.
European e-Justice Portal (European Judicial Network in Civil and Judicial Matters): Information on the law and legal systems of member states, with links, and information on civil procedure, jurisdiction, enforcement of judgments, and service of process in European Union countries.
Antitrust and Competition
- UNCTAD National Competition Legislation: Translated (English or French) statutes, plus the Handbook on Competition Legislation, a guide to competition laws with commentaries.
- Foreign Commerce and Antitrust Laws in CCH Intelliconnect, in the subject materials for Antitrust and Trade Regulation.
Business and Commercial Law
- Digest of Commercial Laws of the World (K 1005.4 .D54): Commentary and forms on business and commercial treaties and on laws by country, including banking, bankruptcy, antitrust, foreign judgments, and e-commerce.
- Getting the Deal Through: Reports by jurisdiction and practice area on issues in tax, data protection, banking, commercial law, trade, and intellectual property., with summaries of the law and citations to laws, regulations, and cases, and a jurisdiction comparison feature.
- Practical Law Company on Westlaw): The International section includes resources for select countries, including topical information in employment law, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, and antitrust. Q&A guides include some statute citations. There is a Q&A comparison tool for comparing the answers on commercial law questions in multiple jurisdictions.
- World Bank Doing Business Law Library: Reports with citations and links to business laws by region or country, with topics including banking, bankruptcy, civil codes, commercial laws, labor laws, privacy, securities, tax, and trade.
- Doing Business In guides (Lexis): Matthew Bender and Lex Mundi guides to doing business in select jurisdictions.
- Doing Business In guides (Baker & McKenzie): Guides to doing business in select jurisdictions, with inforation on tax, employment law, mining, and energy. Search "Insight" publications for "Doing Business In."
- ILGA (International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, and Intersex Association): Entries by country with summaries and citations of laws related to sexual orientation. The site also has the Annual State-Sponsored Homophobia Report with world laws on criminalization and discrimination.
- Legislationline.org: OSCE database with European legislation and documents on human rights topics including gender, citizenship, elections, and freedom of religion. Documents, in English translation or official languages, include legislation, case law, and constitutional articles.
- UN Human Rights Treaty Bodies: States Parties Reports and other reports include information and citations to implementing legislation, cases, administrative efforts, data, and other information on a country's civil and human rights law.
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime: National penal codes and statutes related to crime and national security. Individual statutes available are usually related to terrorism and drug crimes.
- Library of Congress: Table of laws on extradition, with links.
- ECOLEX: Environmental law database of treaties, plus national court decisions and legislation, with some full-text links.
- FAOLEX (UN Food and Agriculture Organization): Laws and regulations on food and agriculture, including environmental laws on energy, water, and oceans, and animal laws on livestock, wild species, and ecosystems.
- International Survey of Family Law: (Hein Online): Annual publication with articles on family law issues in other countries.
- Global Health and Human Rights Database: Judgments of national courts and international bodies on health and human rights topics, and national constitutions with provisions on health and human rights. Find by country, topic, or international or regional body.
Immigration and Refugees
- UNHCR Refworld: Includes national legislation and case law related to refugees, immigration, asylum, civil and human rights, and extradition.
- WIPO Lex: National laws and treaties on intellectual property, with related information. Some laws available in English translation, others in the official languages.
- Trademarks Throughout the World (Westlaw): Treatise arranged by jurisdiction, with information on trademark law.
- Patents Throughout the World (Westlaw): Treatise arranged by jurisdiction, summarizes the patent laws of each country and lists the conditions for obtaining a patent.
- ILO NATLEX: National legislation on labor and employment law by subject, with citations and some links. The ILO EPLEX database covers employment discrimination, with English language summaries for select countries.
Privacy and Data Security
- Information Security & Privacy: A Guide to International Law & Compliance. (Westlaw). Entries by country with summaries and citations of privacy laws.
- Tax Sites International Tax Websites: Links to agencies and resources by country.
- Bloomberg BNA International Tax databases: Browse or field search by country and topic to find news and articles on tax legislation and treaties in other countries, frequently with citations.
Most countries have a written constitution or organic laws to outline the form of government of the nation and to define the functions and powers of the organs of government. There are several resources which provide not only the original text of the constitutions, but also English translations.
- Hein Online's World Constitutions Illustrated (subscription database): Current and previous constitutions, in official languages and English translations. The World Constitutions Library includes constitutional histories and commentaries in treatises, law review articles (in the Hein Online Law Journals Library), and country studies.
- Oxford Constitutions of the World (Subscription database): Full-text English translations of constitutions, with notes on amendments and other background information. The Oxford database also includes a bibliography of resources on the country’s constitutional law and historical documents.
- Max Planck Encyclopedia of Comparative Constitutional Law (Subscription database): Articles with citations and links on constitutional law topics, comparing the constitutions of multiple countries
- Constitute Constitutions Project: A free resource for making world constitutions available and searchable. Constitutions are available in English translation. Articles of constitutions are tagged by topic so they can be browsed or searched. A comparison feature allows comparison of provisions on topics in two different countries.
- Additionally, official versions of constitutions may be published the country’s Official Gazette or code.