Westlaw Bankruptcy Databases
Practitioner Insights for Bankruptcy, with news stories, new bankruptcy documents, and links to bankruptcy databases.
Primary resources for bankruptcy include:
- Cases from the Bankruptcy Courts and bankruptcy cases from the District Courts, Courts of Appeals, and U.S. Supreme Court. Westlaw includes the PDF images of cases in the West reporters, including West’s Bankruptcy Reporter.
- Statutes and Court Rules: Title 11 of the U.S. Code Annotated, Bankruptcy Rules, and Bankruptcy Forms.
- Proposed and Enacted Legislation: U.S. Congressional bills on bankruptcy.
Norton publications on bankruptcy:
- Norton Bankruptcy Law & Practice 3d ed.
- Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law
- Norton Creditors’ Rights Handbook
Other secondary sources:
Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Explorer has information on large Chapter 11 cases (over $10 million in assets), with court filings and orders.
Bankruptcy DataSource has company profiles, filing information, news, and detailed summaries of reorganization plans of large publicly-traded companies. Include the document type in your search: “Chapter 11 Summary.”
- Norton Bankruptcy Law Adviser
- West’s Bankruptcy Newsletter
- Westlaw Bankruptcy Daily Briefing
- Bankruptcy Court Decisions Weekly News & Comments
Trial Court Orders and Documents: Search by attorney, court, parties, docket number
Briefs in bankruptcy cases (U.S. Supreme Court and Courts of Appeal)
Lexis Bankruptcy Databases
Lexis' Practice Area for Bankruptcy Law allows searching by subtopics including Case Administration, Discharge & Dischargeability, and Liquidations. Search results within these can be narrowed to cases, secondary sources, briefs, legal news, and other document types.
Primary resources on bankruptcy including Title 11 of the US Code Annotated and bankruptcy cases.
Collier’s publications on bankruptcy:
- Collier on Bankruptcy, 16th ed.
- Collier Bankruptcy Practice Guide
- Collier Consumer Bankruptcy Practice Guide
- Collier Guide to Chapter 11: Key Topics and Selected Industries
Other secondary sources:
- Mealey’s Daily News Update – Bankruptcy
- Troubled Company Reporter
- LAW360 Legal News
- LexisNexis Legal Newsroom
Bankruptcy Pleadings and Briefs
- Banking and Finance Area topics include debt workouts, Debtor in Possession and Exit financing, with forms, practice notes, articles, secondary sources, cases
- Forms and sample documents
- Lexis updates and Law 360 news
Bloomberg Law Bankruptcy Databases
- Primary Sources: Bankruptcy Court and other Federal bankruptcy opinions, Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure, Local Bankruptcy Court Rules, U.S. Bankruptcy Code Title 11
- Bankruptcy Filings: Find recent filings by chapter
- Dockets for the Bankruptcy Courts, Bankruptcy Appellate Panels, and District Courts. Search options including keywords, docket number, party, chapter, and nature of suit. Documents listed are available in Bloomberg Law (blue numbers) or to request (green numbers).
- Transactional Resources: Dealmaker documents and bankruptcy forms
Bankruptcy books and treatises:
- PLI Bankruptcy Deskbook
- ABA Business Bankruptcy Essentials
- ABI Bankruptcy Litigation Manual
- Restructuring and Insolvency
- Bankruptcy Law Reporter (including PDF of full issues)
- BNA Portfolios on Corporate Bankruptcy and other bankruptcy topics
Bloomberg Law also has Company Information and financial reports
Bloomberg BNA Bankruptcy Databases
Bloomberg BNA's Bankruptcy Resource Center has an annotated Bankruptcy Code and Rules and a search form for finding bankruptcy cases by citation or keyword. The main page has bankruptcy headlines, latest cases, and a news monitor for bankruptcy news from other sources. There are also BNA Portfolios on bankruptcy topics.
Bloomberg BNA’s Bankruptcy Law Reporter is a newsletter with developments in bankruptcy cases, legislation, rules, and statistical reports. You can browse each issue by topic, browse the recent and hot topics lists, or search or browse the index. There are sections for the Supreme Court Scoreboard tracking bankruptcy-related certiorari petitions, recent Chapter 11 filings, plan confirmations, and emergences. You can also sign up to receive issues by email. PDF images of documents like slip opinions, petitions, orders, and reports are frequently linked.
There are numerous other BNA resource centers and publications, including in corporate governance and labor.
ABI World is the website of the American Bankruptcy Institute. Some sections of the site are publicly available; others are password-protected. See the reference desk for help with the password-protected portions, or sign up for a discounted student membership in ABI.
ABI World has a Newsroom section with headlines, court decisions, and legislative news, plus statistics from the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts and from Epiq Systems. The site has a searchable Bankruptcy Code and Rules. There are Collier case summaries (with password sign-on).
CCH Cheetah database requires registration for an individual password.
The Bankruptcy Law Library includes Bankruptcy Law Report Letters (a newsletter) and the CCH Bankruptcy Law Reporter, which includes the Bankruptcy Code and bankruptcy cases.
There are also CCH libraries for banking and consumer finance, employee benefits, healthcare, corporation law and governance, and other areas of the law.
National Consumer Law Center
NCLC Digital Library has collection of treatises on consumer law, including Consumer Bankruptcy Law and Practice, Fair Debt Collection, and Student Loan Law. The NCLC database also has sample pleadings and forms and practice tools, included with the treatises and as editable Word document forms under Consumer Law Pleadings and in the Advanced Pleadings Search.
Hein Online's History of Bankruptcy
Hein Online’s History of Bankruptcy: Taxation & Economic Reform in America Part III database is a collection of compiled legislation histories of bankruptcy-related legislation. In the legislative histories section, you can sort acts by Public Law number or by Popular Name. Select a particular compiled legislative history to then search within the title or use the Cumulative Contents to display the titles of individual documents.
The History of Bankruptcy Library also includes selected scholarly articles on bankruptcy legislation and reform, CRS (Congressional Research Service) Reports related to bankruptcy, and historical treatises, including the 1st through 12th editions of Collier on Bankruptcy.
Practical Law Company (PLC)
Practical Law Company (PLC) requires individual password registration. The database offers practice-oriented materials, including some on bankruptcy, including standard documents and clauses for representation of creditors, checklists and timelines, and practice notes. The international section includes bankruptcy and insolvency information for some countries.