The World Trade Organization is an international organization created by the Final Act Embodying the Results of the Uruguay Round of Multinational Trade Agreements. The WTO implements the agreement, provides a forum for negotiating trade agreements and settling policy disputes, and enforces trade rules. The Uruguay Round Final Act and other texts are available on the WTO’s website, as are documents from the most recent Doha Round of trade negotiations.
The WTO website includes:
- Legal texts include treaties and agreements, plus the Legal Text Index. WTO documents are arranged as most Recent, Commonly Consulted, By Topic, and to search.
- Member pages by country include membership status, goods schedules, trade policy reviews, dispute settlement cases, and notifications.
- Dispute Settlement decisions are available by subject, country, or chronologically.
WTO Decisions and Information
Westlaw: WTO-DEC panel decisions
Lexis: See Areas of Law by Topic>International Trade for WTO and GATT Panel Decisions, and other primary and secondary sources on international trade law
Trade Law Guide Database: Annotated WTO agreements and WTO jurisprudence
The MacMillan Law Library has the following in print::
WTO Dispute Settlement Decisions (Bernan Annotated Reporter, K4600 .A495 W67)
WTO Agreements Series (located in Periodicals)
Other International Trade Resources, Treaties & Dispute Settlement Awards
- UNCITRAL publications are also in Hein Online's United Nations Law Collection, including Conventions, and the Digest of Case Law on the UN Convention on the International Sales of Goods.
OAS (Organization of American States) Free Trade Agreements by country
US Trade Representative Trade Agreements database: Includes WTO treaties, Free Trade Agreements, Trade and Investment agreements, and recent bilateral investment treaties. It also has Dispute Settlement Proceedings from the WTO and other free trade agreements.
State Department: Office of the Assistant Legal Adviser for International Claims and Investment Disputes
US Department of the Treasury: Office of Foreign Assets Control: administration and enforcement of economic and trade sanctions
U.S. Census Bureau: Reports and data on U.S. international trade
USCIT (US Court of International Trade)
Transnational Dispute Management journal: Articles on international investment law and arbitration, and legal and regulatory documents (laws, regulations, awards) by category or country. Use is limited to the Emory Law School community; ask for assistance at the reference desk.
Hein Online's US International Trade Library: Includes USITC publications, legislative histories, CFR titles 15 and 19, US Code titles 15 and 19, and selected law journal articles.
- USITC Harmonized Tariff Schedules and tariff search tool
- Hein Online's International Trade Library: US Harmonized Tariff Schedules, including historical versions