With the writing component of your seminar in mind, we have compiled a listing of useful resources for the topic of Professional Negligence. If you have any questions, please request a student consult with a librarian using the form linked on the left hand side of this guide.
Legal newsletters have reports on new litigation, trial court orders, and administrative caselaw. They include cases on negligence of attorneys and financial and healthcare professionals, less often for design professionals.
- Bloomberg BNA databases: ABA/BNA Lawyer’s Manual on Professional Conduct, Securities Regulation & Law Report, Broker/Dealer Compliance Report, Health Law Resource Center. Or use Search My BNA to search multiple publications. Use the topic lists to find headings including “auditor liability” and “medical malpractice.”
- Law 360 on Lexis: Search in Legal News and Expert Analysis. Or search on law360.com by subject area or industry, then find full-text of articles on Lexis.
Books & Treatises
- Bruner & O’Connor on Construction Law (Westlaw) and Stein, Construction Law (Lexis)
- American Law of Medical Malpractice (Westlaw), Treatise on Healthcare Law (Lexis), and Louisell & Williams Medical Malprctice (Lexis)
- Mallen & Smith Legal Malpractice (Westlaw), Legal Ethics: the Lawyer’s Deskbook on Professional Responsibility (Westlaw), Georgia Legal Malpractice Law (KFG76.5 .A2 E845 2011 and Lexis)
- Loss & Seligman Securities Regulation (KF1070 .L62 2014), Bromberg & Lowenfels on Securities Fraud (Westlaw)
- Damages in Tort Actions (Lexis), Modern Tort Law (Westlaw)
- PLI treatises on Bloomberg Law include Evidence in Negligence Cases; Medical Malpractice: Discovery and Trial; Conducting Due Diligence in a Securities Offering; and Soderquist on the Securities Laws.
Search in discoverE. Relevant titles may be specific to negligence or malpractice, or may be chapters in treatises on the subject area (securities, construction law), or more generally on damages or torts.
Westlaw: Use the Practice Areas for Construction Law, Securities Enforcement, or Health Law.
Use the West Key Number System: Negligence is Topic 272; Trades, Special Skills and Professions are k321-k323. Other relevant topics: Accountants 11A, Attorney and Client 46, Brokers 65, Health 198H.
Lexis: Go to Browse Topics>Torts>Malpractice & Professional Liability.
Bloomberg Law: Search Court Opinions using Topics including Medical Malpractice and Professional Responsibility.
Verdict Reporters & Litigation News
News on verdicts and settlements can be found in the (Fulton County) Daily Report and other ALM publications available on Lexis, including ALM verdicts by state.
Westlaw has a section of Jury Verdicts & Settlements by circuit, state, and topic, including Construction Law, Finance & Banking, Health Law, and Securities.
Westlaw also has a Medical Litigator section that includes medical reference books, medical board decisions and licenses, Stein on Personal Injury Damages, and the Personal Injury Valuation Handbook.
Find dockets for pending cases (mostly federal) on Bloomberg Law. You can find dockets, and federal court documents, for cases found in a news or newsletter search, or search dockets by party name or keyword (including cause of action). For Federal District Courts, you can search by nature of suit.
Practice Sets & Databases
State Legislation & Tort Reform
Westlaw 50 State Statutory Surveys: Medical Malpractice, Tort Reform.
Westlaw: Bill Tracking by State.
Lexis 50 State Surveys, Legislation & Regulations: Healthcare Litigation, Torts.
Hein Online Resources: Subject Compilations of State Laws, Session Laws Library
Federal Legislation & the Affordable Care Act
Public Law 111-148: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
In discoverE, use the subject heading “United States. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act” to find books, government documents, and other documents.
Westlaw’s Practitioner Insights for Health includes a collection of resources on the ACA, including cases, statutes, regulations, secondary sources, and proposed and enacted health law legislation (including state).
The treatise Health Care Reform: Law and Practice on Lexis focuses on the Affordable Care Act and its impact on different groups.
The Affordable Care Act and Health Care Reform are frequent topics in Bloomberg BNA’s Health Care Policy Report.
CQ publications include numerous articles on the ACA and more recent healthcare legislation proposals in Congress.
Codes of Ethics & Other Standards
Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions: Codes of Ethics Collection. Browse by organization, professional category, keyword.
Markula Center for Applied Ethics: Links and articles on business ethics and bioethics.
Codes of Professional Responsibility: Ethics Standards in Business, Health, and Law, 4th ed. (Service Desk, BJ1725 .C57 2000). Compiled ethics codes, but not up-to-date.
American Institute of CPAs: Standards and Statements
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards: Professional Standards and Enforcement
American Institute of Architects: Code of Ethics and Bylaws, with decisions and advisory opinions
National Society of Professional Engineers: Ethics Resources
American Medical Association: Medical Ethics
American Dental Association: Ethics and Professional Conduct
American Psychological Association: Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct
Attorney Malpractice Resources
ABA Center for Professional Responsibility: Model Rules of Professional Conduct, ABA Formal Ethics Opinions, Directory of State Disciplinary Agencies, links to other professional responsibility resources
ABA/BNA Lawyers’ Manual on Professional Conduct: Ethics rules (ABA Model Rules, state ethics rule links), ABA ethics opinions, summaries of state ethics opinions, practice guides
Annotated Model Rules of Professional Conduct: KF305 .A2 and Westlaw
Westlaw: Ethics and Professional Responsibility Texts and Treatises
Lexis: Search in the Practice Area of Legal Ethics under Browse Topics. Or search in Browse Sources to find the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct, ABA Formal and Informal Ethics Opinions, and some state ethics opinions.