In addition to Westlaw, Lexis, and Hein Online, the following sources can be used for quickly locating cases, statutes, pending legislation, and regulations. Just remember to check an official source (such as on Westlaw or Lexis) to make sure the law on which you’re relying is current.
Comprehensive Sources (for cases, statutes, and regulations):
- Animal Legal & Historical Center (Michigan State University College of Law): A repository of information about animal law, including over 1200 full text cases (US, historical, and UK), over 1400 US statutes, over 60 topics and explanations, legal articles on a variety of animal topics and an international collection.
- Animal Legal Defense Fund – Laws & Cases: A comprehensive collection of animal law pleadings, cases, ALDF reports and other resources addressing animal law issues.
- Animal Welfare Online Reading Room (National Agricultural Law Center): Provides links to important statutes and regulations, an index of animal welfare case law, as well as links to many secondary sources on animal protection issues.
- Animal Law Resource Center: Provides access to statutes, pending legislation, case law, and model laws pertaining to animals and the law. Content is updated regularly and is presented in searchable databases.
- Animal Protection Laws of the United States of America and Canada (ALDF): The compendium contains a detailed survey of the general animal protection and related statutes for all of the states, principal districts and territories of the U.S., and for all of Canada, including up-to-date versions of each jurisdiction's laws.
- Brief Summaries of Federal Animal Protection Statutes (published by the Congressional Research Service)
- Animal Protection Laws of the United States of America & Canada (ALDF): A compilation of animal protection and related statutes for all of the states, principal districts and territories of the United States, organized into separate documents for each jurisdiction. Each begins with a detailed overview of the provisions contained in these laws, followed by the full text of the statutes themselves.
- USDA State and Local Laws related to Animal Welfare
- Model Animal Protection Laws Collection (ALDF): Includes definitions of terms, general prohibitions, defenses, and pre- and post-conviction provisions. Can serve as a benchmark to measure your local animal protection laws against, or a template to create new ones.
- Animal Law Resource Center – Law and Legislation Search
- Animal Legal Defense Fund – Legislative Updates and Background
- HSUS – Legislation
- National Anti-Vivisection Society – Current Legislation
- For guidance on researching federal and state regulations, please see our Administrative Law research guide.
- CFR Title 9 - Animals and Animal Products (2016 edition through 1938 edition)
- CFR Title 50 - Wildlife and Fisheries (2016 edition through 1938 edition)