Your research for faculty will probably require that you use Westlaw and Lexis Advance. But you may need additional databases for your research. These databases in MacMillan Law Library’s subscriptions offer additional research content, including primary materials, secondary sources, current awareness, caselaw and statutory background, subject areas in law, historical materials, and foreign and international law.
Hein Online provides libraries of legal materials, including primary materials and law reviews, in PDF format, with most collections including older, historical documents.
- Libraries include law journals, the CFR and Federal Register, U.S. Supreme Court Reports, U.S. Statutes at Large, the Congressional Record, and state session laws
- Foreign and international materials including U.S. treaties, U.N. treaties and other materials, Canadian statutes and Supreme Court Reports, constitutions of other countries, and the Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals
- Libraries of compiled legislative histories
- Citation Navigator to retrieve known documents by citation
- Retrieving PDF images of original documents, including primary resources and law journals
- Historical research, with collections of older law journals, and historical Congressional Record volumes, U.S. statutes, state session laws and codes, and the English Reports
- Foreign and international legal research
- Legislative history research
- Creating 50-state surveys and comparisons of state laws with session laws, National Survey of State Laws, and Subject Compilations of State Laws databases
Bloomberg Law requires an individual password. It includes primary and secondary legal resources, company and market information and news, and content from Bloomberg BNA.
- Federal dockets with search features including keyword and nature of suit
- Docket tracking
- Practice centers by subject area with specialized searches, treatises, news and law reports
- Books and treatises from BNA, ABA, PLI, ABI, Getting the Deal Through
- Sample documents and clauses and practical guidance for transactional law
- Litigation analytics on companies, law firms, judges
- An alternative to Westlaw and Lexis for searching cases and statutes
- Searching dockets and case filings
- Research in bankruptcy, corporate, healthcare, intellectual property, labor, and tax law
- Company research including EDGAR, litigation tracking, and financials
Bloomberg BNA provides current legal news and analysis, with resource centers and newsletters reporting the latest cases, statutes, regulations in business-related areas of law, including tax, intellectual property, labor, bankruptcy, and healthcare. BNA newsletters and portfolios can also be found on Bloomberg Law.
- BNA Reporter newsletters with new cases, statutes, regulations, and other subject area developments, to search or to browse by listed topics and indexes
- Sign up for email updates of new issues and breaking news
- Resource Centers by subject area with primary resources including searches limited to cases and statutes in that subject area
- Circuit Split and Supreme Court Scoreboard tables
- BNA Portfolios with specialized analysis
- Current awareness in legal subject areas including bankruptcy, corporate, labor, environmental, healthcare, intellectual property, securities, and tax law
- Secondary source analysis from the reporter articles and portfolios
- U.S. Law Week for tracking Supreme Court filings, dockets, and cases
CCH IntelliConnect requires registration for an individual password. It includes primary and secondary legal publications and legal news in business-related areas of law including tax, intellectual property, labor, and healthcare.
- CCH Libraries by specialized subject areas, including tax, banking, bankruptcy, corporate governance, healthcare, intellectual property, labor, and securities law
- Newsletters, CCH and Aspen treatises, primary materials including case reporters, statutes, and regulations
- Smart Charts by topic arranging cases and statutes with summaries and links
- Quick Charts with topical summaries and links to laws, regulations, agency guidance, and CCH resources
- Current awareness in specialized legal subject areas like tax, securities, and healthcare law
- Additional treatises in specialized subject areas that may not be available in hard copy in the law library, and will not be available on Westlaw or Lexis
- Primary resources including case reporters for specialized legal subjects
- Summary charts with statute and regulation summaries and citations, including for creation of 50-state surveys
ProQuest Congressional provides compiled legislative histories and legislative history documents.
- U.S. Congressional publications including bills, Public Laws, the Congressional Record, hearings, and House and Senate Reports
- Compiled legislative histories with all publications related to a Public Law
- Search by bill or Public Law number, or Advanced Search by field, full-text, date, Congress, or particular publication
- PDF of original documents for reports, hearings, Congressional Record bound edition, Public Laws
- Compiling legislative histories of U.S. statutes
- Researching congressional intent
- Congressional bill tracking
- Finding older Congressional documents
- Finding CRS Reports for background information on issues
Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Databases
Foreign Law Guide describes legal systems and resources for other countries and includes citations to major foreign statutes by topic.
vLex Global includes primary and secondary legal materials, including official gazettes and newspapers, from Latin American and some European countries.
Oxford Reports on International Law includes caselaw on public international law from international and domestic courts.
Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law is a secondary source on international law on the Oxford Law platform. It includes detailed articles on topics in international law, with citations to primary resources and related secondary material.
Trade Law Guide includes WTO agreements and jurisprudence with a subject navigator.