As an RA you have access to the collections of all of the libraries on campus including our new storage library and Oxford University Library. Make sure to read up on how your proxy privileges work and you'll be on your way to becoming a research god(dess).
If you need help...
Come see us as the service desk or call us at (404) 727-6824 - we are always here to help!
Library staff are also listed in the library's Staff Directory web page.
Emory University Libraries
The Emory University Libraries
Emory’s Law Library is one of 5 total Emory University libraries with nearly 9 million items in total
Four of the Emory libraries are located on the main Atlanta campus; one is located 40 miles away at the Oxford campus
Items from the Oxford campus can be requested for delivery
- Items from the Atlanta campus are not available to request, students must retrieve the items from the library
Our Collection Contains...
- Thousands of databases
- Electronic Journals
- And more!
Checking Out Materials for Your Faculty Member
When you find materials you wish to check out for your faculty member, it is important to check them out as a "Proxy" for your faculty and not to check them out personally for several reasons:
- Borrowing rules and privileges are different for students and faculty becuase due dates and fines are significantly different for faculty than for students.
- It is important that the person who physically has the items receives any recall notices (This keeps you from having to foot the bill for any fines incurred by your faculty member)
- Borrowing privileges are nontransferable, we cannot move a check-out from one account to another, we need the item in hand
Research Assistants must first complete the proxy application form in order to...
- Check out Emory materials in your professor’s name
- Copy and print for your faculty member at the copy center
- Check out books to a faculty account at the Service Desk
- Charge research related copying and printing to your faculty member’s account at the Copy Center on the first floor of Gambrell Hall
Proxies may not:
- Request items in your faculty member’s name and, therefore, we cannot deliver items to them
- Be a proxy on your faculty member’s interlibrary loan account
- You may do the research to identify the item, but faculty will need to request the item through the library’s website.
Requesting Items from "Storage"
Many library books at Emory are actually held in an off-site storage facility. These are listed with location "STORAGE" in the library search systems, and you must select the "Request" button to retrieve these from Storage. Items should be available at their home library's circulation desk by 2 PM of the day following the request, except Fridays and Saturdays.
When tracking your materials, DiscoverE is your friend.
Log into your account by clicking “sign in” (red circle)
Select “My Account” (blue arrow)
Once you log in, you’ll be able to see everything that is checked out to you, as well as any fines you may have accrued, hold requests you have made or any recalls that are coming due.